Bakonytamási is a township located at the junction of the foot of the Bakony hills, Sokoró, and the Small Plain, with 730 inhabitants. The name is of Hungarian origin, probably derived from the name of its firts owner. For the first time the written form of Bakonytamási in 1262, when some of the lands came into the ownership of the Bendedictine Abbey at Pannonhalma. In the 16th century, the inhabitants were driven away by the Turks, and the village was also ransacked by the Germans. In the 18th century was owned for a time by the Esterházy family as property, later becoming a Batthyány estate until 1849, when the town came under Habsburg rule. From October 1st 1902, it is a large township. There are two plains within its administrative boundaries: Gerencsér plain and Hathalom plain. According to written sources (around 1018), Gerencsér was the oldest potter’s village in the Carpathian basin. Hathalom – its name means “six hills” and it is derived from burial mounds dating back to the late Bronze Age – has a burial vault where many relatives of the Jókai dynasty were laid to rest. Sándor Tatay, a famous writer who was awarded by the Kossuth and Attila József awards, was born in Bakonytamási, similar to Imre Hámory, the soloist of the Hungarian State Opera House and the Matthias Church.
Architectural heritage: Evangelical church, Roman Catholic church, peasant houses with Baroque gables and slotted partition walls.
Memorial sites: Tomb of Sándor Tatay writer, Heroes’ statue, Millennium wooden headboards, Ihász-Jókay burial vault, Jewish cemetery.
Traditional events: Village Day (local inhabitants call it), Patron Saint Day (July), annual meeting of settlements with the name “Tamási”.
Places to eat: Kossuth Csárda, Kossuth u. 19. and Hangulat Buffet, Kossuth u. 11.
Office: 8555 Bakonytamási, Széchenyi u. 1.
Tel. number: +36 89/352-255